View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
--was at a yard sale in the early '80s and it took me 1 yr to consumate the purchase!

I had recently "rediscovered" my '50s cards from the attic at home and began searching yard sales for more cards as the "card boom" had begun. Usually you had to ask for cards--nobody thought to put them out even if they had any!

When I asked the usual question of a lady she reached into a small box she had beside her chair and showed me some little tiny thick cards I had never seen or heard of before. She said someone had told her they had value & said she wanted $10 each for them---I immediately passed as I was buying cards at most sales for $4-5.00 a box full!

Anyhow, in the next few months I did some book research and figured out that they were "really old" & had come in cigarette packs way back in the day and was regretting that I hadn't bargained a little with her to buy them.

Fast forward to a year later & a new yard sale season---I went back to that same house, rapped on the door & reminded the lady that I had looked at some baseball cards last yr & did she still have them?

To my surprise she did--17 little cards in all--and this time I agreed to pay her $10 per card--$170 in all.

They turned out to be the 1889 Old Judge issue and there were 3 HOFers in the bunch--Galvin, Keefe, & Harry Wright.

I hung onto them until around 2000 & they were the 1st cards I ever had graded by SGC. I sold most of them on EBay around 2001-2002 and I'm sure a couple or more of the Board members have them in their collections as we speak!

Here are the last 2 I sold--- in a Lelands auction in 2005: Anybody have these in their collection??
That's an awesome story!