View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Matt, I don't use Picassa and looking at your enhanced Cobb I'm happy about that decision. I think it's pretty clear that whatever you did to your card is not done to mine. I do sharpen my scans sometimes (because when the card is blown up it can sometimes lose some sharpness) but not too much as it would make the scan appear grainy. As for any color enhancement, I don't do the actual scanning (my secretary has that lucky job) but considering how lazy he is I doubt much is done at all to the scans other than some sort of automatic slight enhancement.
Sorry Jeff - I didn't explain well. I know you aren't using Picasa; what I was saying is that your scanning software automatically is doing some color adjusting for you. As an example, my HP software has an option to "automatically adjust color on scans." If, in your software, such a setting was defaulted to being on, your scan is being "altered" without you knowing about it and without your lazy secretary having to do anything.
Are you suggesting the CJ Joe Jax you posted above looks that bright in real life? I've never seen a CJ that looks like that; my guess is your software is automatically adjusting color for you without you knowing about it.
As an aside - using Picasa doesn't automatically make your scans like the silly altered one I threw up there - it just gives you the ability to do things like sharpen and change color saturation; in that example I went WAY overboard just to show what software can do. I've attached a less extreme example, also achieved using Picasa. Bottom line; I contend that if you and I both scanned the exact same card, using Picasa I could get the scan from my HP L7780 to look exactly the same as the one from your Canon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-32.jpg (75.7 KB, 312 views)

Last edited by Matt; 05-31-2009 at 01:25 PM.