View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Jim VB

There is no connection between Coch's Corner and SCD, except...

Right now, like it or not, they need each other to survive. This is known in nature as a symbiotic relationship. These things usually start out as a parasite/host relationship, but progress to the point that killing (or removing) either party kills the other party.

That's what you have here.

CC gives SCD 60-80 pages (a guess, on my part, I didn't count) of advertising each month. Without that revenue the magazine would shut down. Back in the days when SCD had several hundred pages each week, they could live without this. Now they can't.

Writers and Editorial staff must hate this. Not only are they in the same magazine, but they are probably forced to write and comment on these "auctions" before and after, as part of CC's advertising committment.

Publishing any periodical isn't easy these days. Newspapers are dying off. Magazines are all struggling. Circulation is down. Ad revenue is in the tank. Electronic/on-line sites have sucked a huge hole in their revenue stream.

There is not a lot of long term hope for the industry. I can't get my kids (15 and 19) to read a paper, except for the comics. Yet they always know what is going on in all "sections" of the world. They get it online. To them, the paper is full of yesterday's news.

Last edited by Jim VB; 06-04-2009 at 08:10 PM.