View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Richard Simon

Default Theft is everywhere not just the NYPL

The NY Public Library is not the only place that is the victim of theft:

WASHINGTON (July 4) - National Archives visitors know they'll find the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights in the main building's magnificent rotunda in Washington. But they won't find the patent file for the Wright Brothers' Flying Machine or the maps for the first atomic bomb missions anywhere in the Archives inventory.
Many historical items the Archives once possessed are missing, including:
— Civil War telegrams from Abraham Lincoln.
— Original signatures of Andrew Jackson.
— Presidential portraits of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
— NASA photographs from space and on the moon.
— Presidential pardons.
Some were stolen by researchers or Archives employees. Others simply disappeared without a trace.
And there's more gone from the nation's record keeper.
The Archives' inspector general, Paul Brachfeld, is conducting a criminal investigation into a missing external hard drive with copies of sensitive records from the Clinton administration. On the hard drive were Social Security numbers, including one for one of former Vice President Al Gore's daughters.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow