View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:20 PM
F.E. Maguire
Banned

Default Show us your "alleged" stolen nypl spaldings...."

I thought it might be helpful to start a thread that didn't get bogged down with arguing about replevin and accusations.

Why don't we use the our collective knowledge to go investigate and put our skills to the test. Together can help expose the stolen goods that have sold on the market for the last few decades and put together a checklist of missing items-maybe we'll post them all.

Pull images from old auction catalogue scans, photos, old SCD's, Old Judge's etc. that you believe could match missing library items. This isn't meant to be a place for empty accusations, just observations. Maybe our detective work will even lead us to the culprits.

Like the Ole Professor said, "You could look it up!"

Here's a gem to kick it all off. It only seems fitting to start with old "Father Harry". Looks like he's rather pleased he got some of his letters back.

This one's perfect:
1. It's a Randall Cabinet Photo of HW on the NYPL missing list.
2. Exquisite back damage and paper loss. Luckily, just far enough away from Harry's signature.
3. I know, It's not unique (aside from the signature) But at least one or two of those Randalls out there are hot. OK, I'm only saying it's "alleged" to have a chance to be hot.
4, Harry did sign this one to someone. And it's Spence authenticated.
5. What I love about this one most is that it was from the Barry Halper Collection that wasn't sold at Sotheby's. That really gives the item some extra credibility.
6. Lastly, notice how REA describes the paper loss as coming from "removal from an album". Which album?

http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/21.html

Last edited by Freddie Maguire; 07-07-2009 at 10:45 PM.