View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 PM

I don't remember the specific games as they were all regular season or exhibitions, but I do recall seeing the players.

Lotte Orions vs SF Giants this was an exhibition game between the 1971 Japanese Pacific League Champions vs the SF Giants. The Japanese team came to train with the Giants in Casa Grande and they did an friendly game at Candlestick. It was memorable because this was the only time I saw Wille Mays play in person. Willie McCovey also played a few innings and a couple of Japanese hall of famers as well and George Altman who was a big american star in Japan at the time.

Pittsburgh Pirates vs SF Giants - I'm thinking this was 1972? Memorable because I saw Roberto Clemente play in person (his last year) and ofcoruse Pops Stargell. I recall Clemente made a rocket throw to home to prevent a runner from scoring.

Oakland A's vs Texas Rangers 1974. I recall it was Glenn Abbot vs Jackie Brown...Billy Martin had the Rangers competitive with Jim Bibby and Ferguson Jenkins that year. I saw Rudi, Jackson, Bando, Green, Tenance...the 2nd year of their 3 straight world series champions. I think Reggie hit a double and the A's won ofcourse.

Giants vs Dodgers 1978 ... I sat in the bleachers in the upperdeck in an August day game and it was still freezing cold! I don't recall the score, but I remember Ron Cey killing my Giants again!

Ricky Y