View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 PM

Default the national

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to Jim VB for bringing my attention to the thread. I will try to answer some of the issues, if I can, but I am not a one man show and others are part of the decision making process concerning the National. First, site selection issues. Since I live 10 minutes from the Anaheim CC, obviously I am very comfortable with the having the show return to Anaheim. Unfortuntately, the Anaheim CC will not have us. Just like the Moscone CC in SF, no consumer shows unless the CC has empty space 18 months out. We cannot wait to chance that we have a site for any year based on not having a contract 3-4 years beforehand. Lots of work to do before coming to town and do not want to risk any chance of missing a year of the show.

As for Philly, for many years Bob S. did not want us there and when Sportsfest launched, they stumbled terribly and scared the dealers vote away from the city. I lived there for 3 years and enjoyed it. Boston would be great, but the CC is too small and if Baltimore works (smallest CC we have ever had 290,000 sq ft to ave 400,000 sq ft), we might recheck Boston.

We have had serious discussions about Texas again, might happen.

As for music on the show floor, we had it for 5 years running and the dealers wanted it stopped. Nice for awhile but 5 days in a row and even your wife might agree with you.

Food concessions and parking. We have absolutely no control over any of that and do not share in any of the revenue. Sorry. Seems kind of silly to pay $4.50 for a Pepsi, must be nice to have a captive audience.

Seminars, games, fun get togethers, etc. all were part of the show during the early years. Now, no one attends any seminars, too competitive with the show hours and if we do them before or after, too long of a day. Nothing that either happens or does not happens, at the National, is not by a fluke chance. All aspects are approved by the Board of Directors, after the dealers vote on issues.

For those who had a good time, thanks for the comments. As for those who suggest changes, we always try our best to satisfy as many as possible. I will always be interested in hearing about how to make the National better.

Regards,

Mike Berkus