View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Hi MS, Nice check. It used to be mine. I had originally purchased it at the St. Louis National convention back in the late 80's. I consigned it with Mastro Auctions a couple years back. It was the center piece of my collection along with a Ty Cobb check. I had this Ruth check professionally framed and matted with a nice picture of the Babe. Unbeknownst to me, when I dropped it off at Mastro's office, they dismantled it and sent the check to be graded. It had cost me $350 for the framework and another $40 for the picture(which I had purchased directly from the Hall of Fame). Needless to say I was alittle upset that they did that without first consulting me. I had a little chat with Doug Allen after I found out. I asked for the framework and picture back, but it mysteriously disappeared. My Cobb was done the same way as the Ruth and was going to be put in the following auction, and I told him if he was going to do the same thing that I would be back up there to pick it back up. He told me they felt they could get a better price if it was graded rather than framed. If I can figure out how to send a pic of it, I will show you what it looked like when it was framed.