View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post

Also, if you viewed this photo with a $15 pocket telescope that can go 100x you will easily see the line pattern produced by the wire photo machine on the receiving end.

A simple 10x loop will usually do the trick if you can't tell from your naked eye. If it's a really clean wire transfer I found the easiest way to find the wave pattern is around the outlines of the figures where the body blends into the background of the photo.

The edge of the brim of a baseball cap is usually a great spot to look for the wave lines.

The AP and other news agencies had lots of runners who ran original prints to as many newspapers in the immediate area as possible so they weren't totally reliant on wire transfers either.

Most Type 1's are not 1 of 1's but I imagine that they are a lot scarcer then most known baseball cards of any particular player/athlete.

A lot of wire photos (not all) will actually say "Wire Photo" somewhere on them. Anything with the caption printed into the front of the photo is generally a wire photo. A lot of times this front caption will be trimmed off but it's still fairly easy to tell the difference.

Most photos (not all) that come with the paper tag on the back are Type I press photos. Some are Type II's and are usually easy to tell though some can be a bit tricky.

Then there are also "Sound Photos" and "Radio Photos" which I imagine would be considered Type III. These usually gave poor results and were of less quality then the wire photos.