View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Al Richter

Smile Variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
We've all seen those Topps sheets from their archives that are printing sheets of different colors. I'm not a printing expert, but I'm sure someone out there is that can speak up about printing anomalies. Why should I care if they simply let the printing press run out of yellow ink? Interesting, but not a variation worth paying big dollars for, in my opinion.
It's funny though how people will pay big bucks....like me... for mere print defects like the Herrer, the Bakep and the Campos. More recently, the SCD catalog lists fairly big premiums for the 1982 Topps blackless cards. That was a hard set for me. Also there have been big premiums paid (guilty again) for the 1980 Topps yellow names.

Why do people pay a premium for them ? Is it just because they are in the Catalog or in the hobby lore, even if by accident ?

Does anyone have a view on whether the 58 yellows or 69 whites are anything more than print defects ? I know Bob L is rethinking his criterea on variations for the big book, but currently you can find examples that I guarantee will not fit whatever definition anyone comes up with.

And, by the way, does anyone have....has anyone seen...that 1962 Topps Roy Sievers stamp in a KC outfit ? :-)