View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Al

Hey there:

I've been collecting '38 Goudey pretty heavily for about four years now. I've completed the set once in reasonably high grade in PSA holders, and now am rebuilding it in SGC holders.

The problem with '38 Goudey is one of supply and demand. The cards are simply difficult to come by in grades 4 and above, and sellers know that they can sit on them until a buyer comes along. The cards are very difficult for a dealer to replace in their inventory, so many of them are content to let them sit until a buyer is willing to pay their price.

My advice would be to wait until the cards come up for auction, and bid that way. Another sure bet is to wait for larger lots of them to appear in the major auctions and then win the lots, selling off the ones you don't need.

For the record, the #262 Medwick and the #280 Kennedy are really, really tough cards in grades EX or better. I haven't been able to upgrade my #262 Medwick, which was an SGC 5, for about three years. Last week I finally got a PSA 6 that I think should cross to SGC. That's a really tough card.

Also for the record, regardless of what anyone tells you, the low numbers are more difficult than the high numbers, particularly in higher grades.

Good luck finishing the set!

-Al