View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 10:59 AM

The three Boston victories surely included 1891, when Boston won the flag in both the NL and AA and (there was no postseason series), 1892 (Boston defeated second-half winner Cleveland in a postseason series capping the NL's split-season format) and 1893 (again no postseason series).

According to the The Daily Inter Ocean (Chicago, IL) of Saturday, August 27, 1887, medals were to be awarded only to th ewinning teams's players, not their opponents ... which will explain the absence of St. Louis medals for 1887. As I speculated in an earlier post, both the cup and the medals were wrought by Gorham of New York (not Tiffany, as sometimes is stated in recent books). These were displayed (sans inscription, clearly) at the Gorham showrooms in New York. I am unaware of medals being struck for any season following 1887.

john thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by orator1 View Post
In your research have you ever read about Dauvray medals being given to players other than 1887 Detroit players?

Detroit medals are found in the HOF and a few went up for auction, but medals given to subsequent winners NY and Boston have not been documented (to my knowledge).

Do you think NY or Boston Dauvray medals were given to the players, or did Mrs. Dauvray stop giving them after 1887?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 082787_Inter Ocean_a.jpg (23.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 082787_InterOcean_b.jpg (48.3 KB, 55 views)