View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 AM

Default Cardinals Caps

As to the Cardinals caps, I think Busch was the reason as others have stated. The caps were licensed by the players association only and not by the teams, that's why the team logos are not on the hats. This promotion helped fund the players association when it was getting started. Marvin Miller talks about the promotion in his book. The owners tried to torpedo the Coke promotion before it ever got started by not allowing logos on the caps, but Coke reluctantly agreed to do the caps without logos. Bowie Kuhn was the owners' lawyer who tried to torpedo the promotion.

Since the teams were not involved and it was only through the players, it seems like Busch wouldn't have a say in whether the Cardinal players were in the set. But I think the Cardinal players probably had something in their player contracts that they were not allowed to endorse other drink companies.

I once sent letters to Marvin Miller and Tim McCarver to see if they knew why the Cardinals were not in the set, but I never got a reply from either.

Another question is why the Dodger players do have logos on their caps, I have no idea about the answer to that.