View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Marc

Lee,
I will reiterate what I posted on the other thread related to this topic. I think the bottom line is that, when these cards were printed, the front design and the back text were intended to be identical regardless of the advertisement. There are really only two conceivable ways that a person can collect a "complete" T205 set:

1. A true master set which would include every possible front/back combination of every card. We may never even have a checklist of such a set, and certainly never anything approaching an actual complete set.

2. A set of all front/back DESIGNS regardless of advertisement. This is the method of the vast majority of set collectors and thus the way these sets are nearly always checklisted. A variation in design, by definition, would be any difference in the text or artwork of the card.

Either way, both of these cards must be listed separately. If you feel that option number one is correct, the text variation is incidental and irrelevant. If you feel that option number two is correct, the ad is incidental and irrelevant. However, there can be no definition of a "complete set" that does not list these cards separately, either by design variation or by ad variation.