View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

OK, so here's the news on the 4-on-1s:

About a month ago a dealer auctioned off two 10-card strips of boxng cards. He had no idea what they were. I recognized them immediately as being a strip card issue made from the art on the 4-on-1s. My only hope was that they were authentic. I'm guessing other folks had similar questions because they sold for just over $11 a card. I got them and examined them closely and they are definitely the real deal. Much thinner stock than an Exhibit so they would be immediately discernable on examination as not being exhibit cut down pieces.

Here's where it gets interesting for card nerds like me: There are two boxers on the strip not yet known on the 4-on-1s. Harry Greb and Johnny Dundee. I have seen a George Kelly cut piece of an exhibit and own a Jack Smith cut piece of an exhibit. Neither player is featured on the currently known four 4-on-1 cards. I think there is at least one more 4-on-1 card with Kelly, Smith, Dundee and Greb.

Interestingly, I have never seen an actual strip card of a ballplayer. The three individual players I've seen all were 1/4 of an exhibit card. The two strips I bought were the first boxer strips I'd ever seen (I've not seen a cut down 1/4 boxer).

Between this and the new 4-on-1 from Legendary, my Exhibit cup runneth over!

The Star Picture Stamp Ruth-Dempsey: There are at least two version, btw, one shown and one with red on pink print. They are pretty difficult to find--it has been a while since I last saw one offered. I'd put it up around the same level of scarcity as the Ruth portrait from the movie issue that is also in the SCD book and also the 1925 Champions Ruth. I'd peg all three around the same level as the short prints from the PC back set. On a total tangential note, does anyone have a good checklist of the 1925 Champions? I am a handful short of the [presumed] 32 cards on my checklist.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-13-2009 at 08:12 PM.