View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Abraham Rudy

Default Importance of card registraion

Hey i'm new here so forgive me if this topic has been discussed already.

I would like to hear some opinions on how important a card's image registration to it's overall condition and to it's value.

I have a few cards (especially the Bowmans and the topps all throughout the 80s) that are in decent condition with the exception that the image is blurred because the ink registration is a bit off, which kinda ruins the card for me. I find it even more disappointing when a vintage card is off-registered (especially Goudeys, since they have the potential to be so beautiful if you can see the image), and I feel like I'd rather a trimmed and creased card that is clear than a perfect card that was blurry. I was wondering what effect registration has on the card's actual grade. Any ideas?

Also, what are your thoughts on the market value of cards that are off-registered? I bought a 55 Bowman Mantle in PSA 1 or 2 condition but with poor registration for about 60 bucks and I was wondering how much more I would have had to shell out for a card with a clearer image in roughly the same physical condition. In the same vein, how big of a difference does registration make to some of you when you look to buy cards, both graded and ungraded?

A penny for your collective thoughts...