View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 07:08 PM

Default Grover Cleveland Alexander, Phillies flag & Willow Grove

This card measures 5-1/8" by 3" and pictures the Electric Display at Willow Grove (PA) Park. On the back is an announcement for a Third Annual Picnic under auspices of Kinsports Employees with music by Sousa's band. In smaller lettering there is mention of "Philadelphia and Chicago (National League) at 15th and Huntingdon Streets". The date is August 21, 1915.

What interested me about the card initially was the mention of Willow Grove: a longtime home of one of our hobby's best shows. After a bit more research, I discovered that the Phillies had a doubleheader that day and won both ends: 7-5, behind the great Grover Cleveland Alexander in the opener, and Al Demaree over Karl Adams, 3-2, in the second. Furthermore, the Phillies would go on to win the National League pennant that year.

Minutes ago, as I was trying to track down this information for posting, I discovered another important fact regarding the date August 21, 1915 which I did not know at time of purchase. That was the date that the Chicago White Sox acquired outfielder Shoeless Joe Jackson for outfielders Larry Chappell and Robert Roth, pitcher Ed Klepfer and something over $31,000 in cash!

This find came courtesy of a spur of the moment eBay search for "Willow Grove."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img626.jpg (72.5 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg img627.jpg (75.0 KB, 311 views)