View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Hi Mike,

I guess it started when I was a kid - I'd get a pennant every time I went to a Phillies game. (I am from Southern New Jersey.) This was the late 70s and80s, so they were the paper ones, but still they looked nice on my bedroom wall. When I got older and wanted to decorate my basement/game room, I looked for similar cheap pennants at yard sales. I also stopped by Mitchell and Ness' store in Philly - this was right around the time they started making repros - at least I think it was. So I gobbled up a bunch of those. The one day I bought a bundle of vintage old pennants at a flea market, dirt cheap - they were mostly from the early 60s, lots of stadium pennants. From then on, repros wouldn't cut it, and my hobby grew and grew to the point where I need about three basements to display them all.

I guess I have a slight tendency towards Phillies pennants, but basically I like any pennants that look neat. I am at the point now that I strongly prefer pennants that are dated in some way. I guess I like STL Browns stuff, too, and would love to get or even see other variations besides the two or three we always see.

You have interest in two teams with beautiful pennants - the Tigers, of course, are the very best, especially all the dated ones from the 1930s thru (I think) 1951. The '51 all-star pennant with the city shield is one of the very best. The Cubs have nice ones, too .... I have one that is bright yellow and looks to be a large version of those mini-pennants from the late 30s.

Take care

Greg