View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

Topps does sometimes cut cards short, and 1/32 isn't unusual, although I've never heard of it being a particular thing with vending boxes. (They also cut cards wide, narrow or tall) I'd worry about trimming though unless I could see what the slip from PSA said exactly. I talked to them at one time, and asked about cards that were made oversize or undersize, and they said if it was more than a certain ammount - I think 1/64 either way they wouldn't grade it. The striations he's talking about are the marks left by the cutter that cuts the sheets into cards. You have to look at the edge under some decent magnification to see them. Different factory cutting methods leave different marks. For example Topps are/were cut with a blade that usually cut pretty smooth, while OPC were cut with a wire that usually leaves a ragged edge.

So - At best not trimmed, but undersize so it still won't grade, and you'd have to do a lot of explaining when it came time to sell. At worst, trimmed and being sold with a silly story.