View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I would have to say it was a 1969 Topps wax pack from when I was a kid as that is the first time I ever bought a card of any type (and I bought two at once with my first and only purchase that year). I remember opening many Rak Paks in 70-74 but hardly any wax after '72 and I also clearly remember buying 1972's out of a nickel vending machine and getting a Gil Hodges (a hot card as he had died just weeks earlier and all us Mets fans wanted one). My first (and only) vending box was in '75 from Renata Galasso from an ad in the Sporting News.

Any Raks and vending machine cards I would have bought at the famous "Coronet, 1111 Old Country Road in Westbury" (for those Long Islanders who remember their late night ads in the 80's). Raks were great because you got about ten cards in the right most pocket that were a repeat of a run in the first pocket and you could then trade your dupes real easily for what you were missing. About four Rak Paks and a couple of trades would net you a complete Series.