View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Barry Sloate

It's reasonable to assume that many of the graders were hobbyists, that's a fair point. But once they take the job of grader, they have to be prepared to give that up. They can keep their collections but they should not be active while they are grading other people's cards.

There are so many industries where people are forced to divest themselves of certain stocks and other holdings for a specified period of time while employed at their jobs. I do not take the position of grader lightly. They have a tremendous amount of power and influence, and can easily be enticed to give out special favors to major submitters and auction houses. I really think that industry needs to be policed better. And from what I've heard through the grapevine, law enforcement has an eye on them.

Do you understand how much money can be made by making a 7 a 7.5, or a 7.5 an 8? And all a grader has to do is create a new label and somebody has just made a boatload of money. And don't you think that's going on all the time? I do. Why wouldn't it? Can you find an easier way to make money than just bumping a card a half grade?

Ill say it again: the grading industry needs to be policed, and very closely at that.