View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Her is some Shag errata I have posted in the past...

post #1
Some career highlights of Shag:
-Notre Dame Football player (1901-04) -also played baseball there
-Purported to have introduced the Option play to American Football
-Minor League baseball manager for 3 decades
-President of International League from 1936-1960
-Canadian Football Hall of Fame
-Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame
-First cards were produced around 1910 (T206, E222, & T209-2)
-Last card was the 1964 Topps Award Banquet set (Card also features Jackie Robinson)

post #2
Shaughnessy had a very long career as a baseball player, manager, and then became president of the International League for nearly 30 years, that is what (in my opinion) makes him a more desirable card to have than any other SL card. Not to mention he was captain of the 1904 Notre Dame football team. He is also a member of the Canadian Football HOF (was also head coach of Clemson a few years after John Heisman), and is in the Canadian baseball HOF. In all seriousness Frank Shaughnessy is one of the most important "forgotten" sports figures of the early 20th century.

New Post-------------------------------------------------------
**It is no coincidence that over time people that were once viewed as "commons" are found to be much more than that. Just recently it was discovered a player the T209-2 set was a longtime coach of the South Carolina FB team (making him more desirable), the E254 of McCarthy that had sold as a common for years is know known to be a young Joe McCarthy, the 1919 Zeenut of Driscoll is the FB HOFer Paddy Driscoll, etc. etc. Also, keep in mind for a LONG time 1919 Black Sox cards sold for little to no premium over commons (except Jackson of course)

Much of this is due to the internet and the ability to do a lot of research in a short amount of time (something nearly impossible until the net came about). Shag has more going for him than a lot of people that are overcommon (ie Fred McMullin).

Whether he sells for more because he is viewed as being tough (to the t206 collector), the strange image (to the novelty card collector), or because of his historical significance (to the collector of the history of the game--I would include myself here) it all adds up to the card selling for more than your average T206 southern leaguer.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562