View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Johnny S

Default It was 30 years ago today

It seems like a lifetime ago, and in a way it was. I was only 9 years old but remember it like yesterday. I remember the old gray swirling carpet on the living room floor, the blue electrolux vacuum cleaner next to the flower plaid couch and how young my parents looked. The USA hockey team defeated the Russians in what was the greatest upset in the history of sports, it truly was a miracle on ice. With most of the team from Minnesota it was even more special, my cousins grew up and played with Buzz Schneider and knew many of the iron range kids on the team.
The 10th anniversary passed by like nothing had happened, I didn't even notice. But 20 years after Espn played the whole game and I waited all day with excitement but had no idea all the memories and emotions would come flooding in like they did while I watched it, it was as if I had been transported back 20 years and could see my father smiling just saying 'this is history'.
Now 30 years later I am feeling old, Herb Brooks is gone, and the USA team is on the verge of getting another medal, but nothing will ever be the same or like it was in 1980. A good friend of Herb Brooks lived in the small town in MN I grew up in and got him to speak at our 1982 Hockey Banquet, it was definately a thrill of a lifetime and even at a young age I was aware of how special it was, so hard to believe it's been 30 years.