View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Scott

Guys, you are all veteran collectors. Its all about the MONEY. These card companies have something going that wasn't around when I, and probably most of you guys, was a kid. Its called PERCEIVED VALUE. The hype of finding this 1/10 "Cut Casey Stengel" or something has people paying ridiculous prices for packs of cards, and then, on the flea bay for the item itself.

When I was a kid, I bought packs of cards, traded and saved them, and ate gum. yeah, i was giddy if I got Hank Aaron in a pack, or later, a Yount, Schmidt, etc. I can remember my Mom bringing me a 75 cello pack home from grocery shopping w Hank on top. That was such a thrill, because I knew the player, not some stupid perceived "fake chase card" to make me overpay for their shit.

48.00 for a new box of Topps now, and kids that dont get the autograph, relic, parallel or whatever, Ive seen them leave the rest of the cards behind, and just keep the others. its all crap.

Now, my rambling rant finishes with the idea of chopping up a jersey or a bat. That is SACRILEGE indeed for these superstars. And of course, putting a fake Ruth or Gehrig, or doctored Andrew Jackson or clipped signature on a card is just as bad.

I mean, all Coaches Commode does is sell forgeries and ruin the hobby for us older collectors. Topps and the other comapnies are ruining the hobby for kids, who will never know the fun of just opening a pack of cards and chewing the gum, and getting excited finding a REGULAR card of their favorite hero.