View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Thank you, much appreciated! My ultimate goal is to trade it for other high-end T-206s even before I get it in hand.....I seem to change my collection goals faster than anybody....or maybe it just seems that way.
Just curious -- are you motivated to flip the card by not being able to return it to its original form, have it grade a 3 and then sell it for huge profits? In other words, were you speculating when you made the purchase?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I am curious about these kinds of cards. I spent a lot of time thinking about which Plank to bid on in April 2007 and I decided to go with Lionel Carter's beater. My feeling at the time was that the "FrankenPlank" (as it was called by Wonkaticket at the time) would have its price inflated by two potential buyers -- those who were going to try to pass it off down the road as a PSA 7 and those were were going to try to unrestore the restoration. My view, which is supported by its return to a Mastro auction this spring and your current intent to flip it, is that there are fewer collectors that are willing to add this Plank to their collection and keep it long term in its current state given the restoration job. Maybe the SGC Authentic Plank sold for more than the PSA Authentic Plank because the PSA collectors wanted to try to get it into a PSA holder.

In any event, I spent like a month debating this 3 years ago, and I enjoy the dialogue.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 03-04-2010 at 07:56 AM.