View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
before i came to this site, Beckett was the only grading company whose slabs i would buy. I was very surprised no one here supported them.

From my experience, they have always graded very tough and have yet to see an over grade, although i am sure they do exist.

I have since learned/ noticed from the much more experienced and knowledgable guys that SGC is acceptable and PSA is ok as long at you dont buy from Jose Hernandez, or anyone else selling high end cards in the LA area

Personally Beckett grading has always been favorable.
It depends what era's cards you are talking about. I always bought BGS for modern stuff. Since I shifted gears to prewar collecting, however, BGS (BVG) doesn't hold a candle to SGC, imo. Depending on the issue, PSA may be acceptable, but I am far and away most comfortable buying SGC slabs for my prewar cards. It is a personal choice though and one that each collector needs to make for himself (or herself).

As far as Beckettmedia selling BGS graded cards, I can certainly see how the conflict of interest (whether real or only perceived due to company structure) is there. On one hand, I prefer that they are at least out there under their own name so that we don't have a "did you know that so-and-so works for Beckett and is selling their cards" type expose. On the other hand, I guess I wouldn't expect for them to sell PSA-slabbed cards. Since I largely don't collect modern cards any more, Beckett is pretty much a moot point to me since I avoid them.