View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Ben L

Default Thomas Edison Signed Check - 100% Authentic

Looking to sell this fantastic piece of Americana! This is a check from the Edison Storage Battery Company, hand signed by Thomas A. Edison. This piece is 110% authentic and I guarantee it for life. Guaranteed to pass any reputable auto authentication service.

It is made out to the Joseph Stokes Rubber Co and is dated February 10, 1921. Thomas Edison has signed as the President. The Stokes Rubber Company was established in New Jersey in 1921 (the year this check is from). The first product manufactured was battery boxes. The Edison Storage Battery Company was organized in 1901, to develop, manufacture, and sell alkaline storage batteries. It produced batteries for mining lamps, train lighting and signaling, submarines, electric vehicles, and other uses.

My grandfather purchased this check in the 1970's (along with other Edison paperwork) from a man who acquired a large group of paperwork from the estate of Charles Edison (son of Thomas). It has been in my family ever since.

The check is in very good condition. There are two vertical fold lines and a few other light wrinkles. Edison's famous umbrella signature is nice and clean. A cancellation stamp was placed over the signature.

A 1928 check sold in the Huggins and Scott 2008 Spring Auctions for 862.50. However, the signature on this check did not have the cancellation mark over the signature. As such I'm going to ask $395.00 for this one. Please email or PM me if interested.

Last edited by IronHorse2130; 03-25-2010 at 09:38 PM.