View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Frank Wakefield

The 13 Old Mill cards of the Winchester Hustlers.... 1910. They finished in 3rd place in the league, 15 games back, with a 61-58 record.

Top row: Ernest Atwell, P; Michael Barney, 2B; Wesse Callahan, SS; Ed Coleman, OF; Cornell; and Eddie Goostree, 3B.

Eddie Goostree, 3B; Newton Horn, C; George Kircher, C; Charlie Mullen, 1B; McKee Reed, OF; Fred Toney, P; and Joe Yeager, OF.

I think Cornell is Lester Cornell of Frankfort. There are 2 Cornell cards in series 6, one Frankfort and one Winchester. Lester Cornell is the only Cornell that appears in the 1910 records.

Wesse Callahan appeared in 7 games for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1913. I think this is his only card. (The #5 1992 Beckett Alphabetical Checklist says there are no cards for Wesley Callahan.)

Charlie Mullen played in 1910 and 1911 for the White Sox, and 1914-1916 for the Yankees. Some lists have card #24 in both years of the Cracker Jack cards as being Charlie, but that card is George Mullin.

Fred Toney had the great 21 inning complete game no hitter in 1909 in the Blue Grass Leauge. He was in the majors for 12 seasons, playing for the Cubs, Reds, Giants, and the Cardinals. He posted a 139-102 record with an ERA of 2.69. He got to the World Series in 1921.

Joe Yeager with that bat has one fine pose. I think that Goostree with the bat is one very difficult card to locate.

And Dave, Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia has a great listing of the cards, that has team designations. There are a few typos. I can get you a series 6 list that is correct, send me an email if you want it.

Last edited by Matt; 03-21-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Reverted