View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Jim D

i am going to spin this a little differently..... Although i agree the seller is somewhat deceptive, his job as a seller is to get the most for his product. He has done that very well, it is sales/marketing 101. He made it more presentable to John q Buyer. All he did was change the holder. This guy knows BCCG gives a higher #, a more seller friendly number then other companies, and based on his feedback and other listings, he uses them alot for this purpose. Although experienced collectors do not like what he does, there is nothing wrong with it. His target market is the inexperienced collector.
If you are selling a house, do you take pictures of the cracks and paint chips? No, you point out the hilites. All the seller really did was put a new coat of paint on his house, and didnt point out the negatives aspects. The seller does have 12000+ feedback.

now onto the buyer. How do we not know the buyer didnt ask for a scan of the back? Although you were able to cross reference this card to an SGC holder, most wouldnt think of trying to look for that type of thing.

Also, how do we know the buyer is unhappy with his/her purchase?? we dont unless you contacted the seller and asked him/her.... he/she may be happy, but i am sure if they knew how this card was flipped, he/ she would be unhappy.

i can provide a personal example of this, When i started dating the girl i am with, she told me she had a vintage/antique bat that she paid $250 for. She told me how nice and valuable it was. So i asked to see this "amazing" bat seeing as i am somewhat knowledgable on collecting moreso then most (until i met you folks) well she brings out this "Dave Parker" wooden bat from the 70's, that you could buy at any K-mart back then. it looks like it was used as a hammer.
When i told her it was almost worthless, we got into an arguement. She was happy with her purchase. She now knows i am right and she got taken, being a girl who just wanted a nice collectable.

Beckett.. We all wish BCCG was consistent with other grading companies , but it isnt. It is marketed as a low cost alternative grading company, using the Beckett name. It is seperate from BGS and BVG. Therefore, as unfortunate as it is, they use a different scale to create a more positive spin on the card for inexperienced collectors. You cant blame them, it generates them moe business. Its also why i personally will never buy a BCCG graded card.

Leon hit it on the head, buy the card, not the holder!!!!

so to summarize:

So the seller got maximum money for his item.
Buyer paid too much, but could be happy, we dont know..
BCCG sucks and uses a terrible grading system.

Life goes on....lets hope people can learn from others mistakes!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!

Last edited by FUBAR; 03-22-2010 at 02:16 PM.