View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Default Walter Johnson - Relative Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I think the way players held bats back then...hands apart at times...was because the game was different and placing the batted ball where you wanted was more prevalent than going for the home run. I'm sure the caliber of play has improved over the years...as in any games evolution.
I recently read a book about Walter Johnson - Baseball's Big Train by Henry Thomas (whom I believe is a board member) and the section on his speed relative to both other deadball ptichers of the era and modern pitchers was very interesting. I need to preface the following by saying that the mehtods of measuring Johnson's speed - although electronic - were done at a gun range, in street clothes and in a manner which forced him to pitch in an unorthodox manner to hit the target required to measure his speed.

On pg. 105 Thomas details how in October of 1912 Johnson went to the Remington Arms gun range to settle some of the debate brought about by FC Lane (editor of Baseball Magazine) and the frequent discussion about how much faster Walter Johnson pitched than other deadball pitchers. The test also included Nap Rucker, who was purported to be the fastest pitcher in the NL.

At length, the testers had difficulty accomodating Johnsons side arm delivery such that the baseball would travel through a wire timing apparatus and hit a steel plate some distance away. After numerous adjustments, while in street clothes, with various adjustments to his normal delivery, they got a several readings. The method and manner in which the tests were done most certainly affected the speed at which he was able to pitch. The speed of the baseball going through the trip wires was measured at 82 MPH; while Nap Ruckers was measured at 75.9 MPH.

Most certainly Johnson pitched faster than this in game situations - but being able to pitch almost 8% faster than other pitchers of that era, certainly is impressive.

In June of 1933, Lefty Gomez and Van Mungo, purported to be two of the fastest pitchers of the '30's, were tested at West Point presumably with more modern equipment. Mungo registered in at the same as Ruckers (75.9 MPH) and Gomez came in at a shade under 75 MPH.

- M Wheat