View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 06:28 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default pre-war post war comparison rarity and price

while being almost exclusively a post war collector i do enjoy all the pre-war stuff as well...what i can't fathom however is the disparity in rarity and availability compared to the price
In amy given year one with "enough" money can purchase any # of wagners planks magie etc etc etc It appears to me that these so called pre war collectors do nothing except resell the same card over and over again..in looking over all the catalogues for the last 5 years alone a wagner has appeared in an auction 15 times....if you have $200k to buy 1 in poor its yours for the taking...now lets look at the post war rarities...the most popular ballplayer of the post war era...mickey mantle
I dont care how many millions of dollars you have...lets see you buy a 1961 mickey mantle dice game...how about the prices of the tough esskay meats huggins is getting...buy any 1955 topps test stamps lately?
POINT BEING...post war rarities that surface.. are stashed away in collections and only reappear when someone dies...so you need to buy them when they do appear...
seems to me that wagners planks and magies arent really collected theyre just bought and sold as a commodity that any millionaire can buy every 3 months or so