View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
I know Rob gave fair warning about the possibility of the auction closing anytime after 11PM EST but bids were coming in at 100 every 18 to 20 minutes for a few hours before the Rob shut it down. And if you look at the Recent Bids you see several big ticket items being in play several minutes prior to it closing. I know the guy has to sleep but seemed premature based on what I could see. Only 5 minutes had passed without a bid.
I agree. I think the problem is that the extended bidding session (12 hours) has normally ended around 3:45 am EST for the past few years, so bidders are not really getting serious now until around 2:30 am or so, knowing that Rob will shut it down at the 3:45 or so time. I won three lots last night and on two of them I didn't put my second bid in until about 3:22 am, knowing that I was safe. When one of the lots got into a bidding war at that time, I was worried that the auction would close down without any notice at around 3:45. My last bid was placed about 10 seconds after the other guy at around 3:42 am and I was happy to have won it.