View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Big fan of Frank...here is a similar story from nearly 15 years ago. As many of you know, I am a member of OBC, an online trading club (and arguably the first online vintage trading club). Another member of OBC and I attended a small mall show in Fallbrook, CA. One of the signing guests was Frank Thomas. After meeting and talking with him a bit, he asked if I wanted to have him sign anything. I told him I did not have anything for him to sign. I explained to him that I do not do that but I prefer to shake hands. I explained that he shook hands with Hank Aaron, who shook with Mantle, who shook with Dimaggio, who shook with Ruth, etc. It was like touching history for me (I know it sounds weird but that is how I was brought up). BTW, Frank had one of the biggest hands I have ever seen. After the show we were hanging around the food court and he walked up to us and started chatting. He invited the two of us to coffee while his wife shopped in the mall. We sat down and for the next hour he told us stories of his playing days including the four HRs in a row, All-Star games, and favorite current players (if I recall he liked Chipper Jones and Cal Ripken). He told us the story of the fire and his wife throwing some of them away and we exchanged addresses. Frank became an honorary member of OBC and we helped rebuild much of his collection over the years. There was a short Sports Illustrated article that came out around that time that mentioned his collection, fire, and help with rebuilding. He always included a nice thank you note with whatever was sent to him. He was one of the nicest major leaguers I had ever met. He is a class guy all the way.

Joshua