View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Need some opnions please. I have never collected an autograph with tape across it...tape yellows, etc. I have a chance to pick up a semi-hard to find auto with tape across it. This would also be about a third to half of the price of another one I could pick up. What would you autograph guys do? Is there a general opinion on this subject?
Mike,
Great question! I've found myself asking myself the same question over time.

BTW- I collect the signatures of all no-hit pitchers dating back to 1883 (when they changed the mound distance to the modern standard of 60' 6").
Over time, I've whittled this list of about 260 names down to about 17. Since some of these names are pretty scarce, I have had to consider collecting signatures either covered with tape or tape affixing a cut to another piece of paper or an index card after the fact.

This is definately a matter of collecting preference, but I would recommend trying to collect the best example of a particular signature that you can find. I personally don't believe that there is ever a downside in collecting quality. If you ever want to resell an item, a quality item always makes it easier to find a buyer.

That being said, if you merely would like to add an example of the signature of a particular player to your collection, and price was definately a consideration, than buying the sig w/ tape is decent alternative. I would also buy a signature w/ tape for a player that I might not otherwise be able to find. One additional thought is that as a collector you always can upgrade down the line, but you may have some difficulty reselling a signature with tape if other more pristine signatures are available...
Food for thought....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-13-2010 at 04:36 AM.