View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Craig Diamond

Default T3 scarcities, etc

Hi again,

As noted, the PSA pop report can be valuable from a macro view. For instance, if you simply look at the number of 2nd series cards graded versus 1st series cards, you see a real difference.

However, even 3900 submissions (don't forget that the PSA pop report includes T9s as well) is a relatively low number. I used to follow it pretty closely and know there have been a few instances (Rhoades for instance) where a few cards were re-submitted many times in hopes of a better grade - thus inflating the pop. Also, in some cases (McIntyre - Brook), PSA did not do a good job in properly labeling the cards (I once had 4 of them, all labeled incorrectly). Thankfully, to decipher which Paskert, Tenney or Doolin pop you are looking at, one can simply look to the "checklist back" or "Turkey Red back" notation and see the difference. I guess my point is, that when dealing with the scarcer cards in the set, the pop report may not tell the whole tale.

I can say that I haven't checked the pop report for at least a year, but my own two cents on other difficult cards - Jones, Wilson, Bescher (and maybe a few others which I'll keep a secret for now).

As a final aside, if one can find a Turkey Red back of Bell, Browne or Sullivan (or Rhoades), please let me know.

Happy Collecting,
Craig Diamond