View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

“1. At some point years ago my dad purchased a slabbed SGC card labeled as a brown old mill. I vaguely remember my dad telling me about it but I certainly don't remember how, from who or at what price he purchased it.”

From previous thread….

“Dad and I purchased this card years ago because we happened to compare it against several black examples and saw a difference in ink color.”

Really now I’m really confused? Seems to me if the above point #1 is true you bought the card based upon the label, or you bought the card raw something doesn’t make sense Scott?

“4. When this card was consigned to Bill Goodwin for his auction - My dad made sure to mention these particular issues AND ALSO mentioned that when he compared it side by side against other typical old mill cards with a loupe --- all the others were black while this one was brown. My dad asked Mr. Goodwin to consider listing the card on this basis. Bill then inspected the card, agreed with my dad's assessment and listed it in his auction.”

Was the card rejected by REA yes or no? If so why did you consign to Goodwin and did you make Bill aware the card was rejected by Rob Lifson and REA?

Also is it not also true you have an outstanding balance with Goodwin for an unpaid lot for whatever reason? And that your recent consignments were to offset this balance and that this card going for Brown Old Mill money would have significantly reduced said balance if in fact it does exist?

I’m happy to be corrected on any of these points Scott please do if I’m wrong. But I’m being direct and honest here.

This is tough for me to call this out as I consider you two collecting friends and highly respected collectors. But the facts and the details on this just look bad and I can’t help but feel a little disappointed here.

From outside looking in here’s what I see…

You guys know brown Old Mill cards, you own them. In fact you know them enough that you recently even sold Pat Chan a multi-strike brown and black Old Mill card where the brown was so subtle most collectors would have missed it.

You have a card which is at best questionable brown and isn’t hand cut, the wrong player and you guys don’t raise an eyebrow? You don’t show the card to Jim R, Myself, Dan McKee, Brian W, Art M, Ted Z, Scott M or any other collectors whom you see and or talk to quite often? Heck you mentioned this card to Jim R about having a factory cut brown Old Mill and Jimmy has been chasing me and you for a scan for a year..LOL. (Like a dog with a bone that guy Jim R)

You decide to consign the card to REA a very reputable seller and he sends it back and says no way even in the holder. The same seller who contacted Jim and me for help on the overprint he had. Rob is the kind of guy that if he thinks something can be a new variation he’s not afraid to ask for help from fellow collectors especially of that helps leads to a successful auction and commission for REA and the seller.

Then you consign the same card to Goodwin whom you may or may not have an outstanding balance with for an unpaid lot. You then hype the auction on the main board.

When the card is questioned you say it was... “Dad and I purchased this card years ago because we happened to compare it against several black examples and saw a difference in ink color.” But then you claim the card was bought in a holder labeled brown Old Mill.

Now you claim that SGC is attacking your father and or making childish remarks. In a way calling out their creditability and way of handling customers.

That about sums up the timeline as I see it…

You guys as collectors given your experience and given the rejection by REA should have really had this looked at prior to listing it with anybody IMO. It just seems that from the outside looking in on this you were passing off questionable potato labeled as an apple to the next guy.

Also you guys as collectors have always kept choice cards I know that I’ve seen your collection. A true Brown Old Mill factory cut new color variation on a new player I just think that would be one you guys would never let go basically one of a kind.

I can’t imagine you guys passing off even a questionable card given your collecting history with the bad Drum and the overprint that many folks worked very hard on making you guys whole on by busting Pat Chan.

Scott I hope I’m wrong on all this but it just looks odd and a bit bad.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 06-28-2010 at 11:19 AM.