View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Frank Wakefield

Unbelievable... I cannot comprehend how you guys think Ozzie Smith should be out, nor how Pete Rose or Joe Jackson should be in. But it's up there. Wow. So it makes me figure that folks who think Ozzie should be out or Pete and Joe in will fail to understand the reasoning behind my suggestion.

You pick 'em...

Either Kirby Puckett or Gary Carter out (both out, but eliminating one would be a good start). Then add Ed Reulbach or George Van Haltren. Puckett was a sympathy vote for someone who's stats fall FAR short of what we should expect for a HOFer. He was just a popular spark plug on a WS team that didn't deserve the Championship, their stadium won more games for them than Kirby did, put all of that plastic in the Hall. Carter was not as good of an all around catcher, nor hitter, nor baseball man than Ted Simmons, or other catchers. Carter slips in because of the NY media. Reulbach's fine career would have been even better if he'd not helped with the Players Brotherhood, the owners really colluded against him and cost him some seasons, wins, and having serious numbers. Still, his performance, his numbers are sound. Read the first edition of Mr. James' fine Historical Baseball Abstract, about Ed. If you've not read that then you lack sufficient information to form an opinion about him. Van Haltren was a great ballplayer. A good fielder and hitter. And then there's that pitching career. Maybe he's not in because it would be confusing to figure out what he was... he as one fine ballplayer, better than about half of those in the Hall.

Mr. Schoendienst belongs in the Hall. And any student of what the Hall is should understand why Joe and Pete don't get a plaque.