View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Barry Sloate

I always felt buying in person was far riskier than buying through the mail, especially in the days before grading. If you purchased a card through a mail order dealer, and had say a seven day return privilege, you had ample time to examine and measure a card, even use a blacklight to check for alterations. If you didn't like it, you could just return it.

At a show, you are often standing under dim lighting and a forced to make a decision within a few minutes, without the proper time to examine a card. I can't tell you how many times people purchased cards at shows, took them home and examined them closely, only to discover a trim, alteration, or recoloring, and then couldn't even remember the dealer they bought the card from. I used to hear that story regularly many years ago.

Today, if you buy off ebay or from a reputable auction house, you have a huge scan that can be studied as long as needed. Added that it's likely been slabbed, there's no reason not to buy with confidence through the mail.

Buying in person and holding a card in hand is a plus, but one often does not have the time to examine it in a quiet relaxed atmosphere before making a final decision. Buying at shows was always a mixed bag for me.