View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 PM

Default Trimmed cards have gotten a bad rap

I think that the whole issue of trimmed cards in the hobby has been overblown and gotten a bad rap. People have been trimming baseball cards since baseball cards were first invented. After third party card grading came into the picture, there started to be this growing attitude in the hobby that a trimmed card was basically almost worthless.

To me, it's all about the eye appeal of the card - not the number on the slab. I would much rather have a trimmed card like the Cracker Jack in the post above than a total beater in a 1,2,3 holder.

Just to give a personal example - I own several 1952 Topps Mantle cards. I've got a PSA 2.5, a PSA 4, and SGC 70, an SGC 80 and a SGC A. My least favorite is the SGC 80 - it's off center and the blue background is not as bold as it could be. The SGC A is a beautiful card. Clearly, it's been slightly trimmed. It's also got a small crease (I still don't understand why anyone would trim a creased card!). But, the image and the color are better than any of the other Mantles I own. The blue background just pops and the white borders are pack fresh. I also like the PSA 2.5 better than the PSA 4, but I won't ramble on about that. The main point to me is this - for me it all comes down to the buying a card that I like at a price that I feel is a good value.

At the end of the day, who cares what PSA or SGC or anyone else says about a card - as long as it's not a fake it really just comes down to how you like the look of the card. It's kind of like wine (another one of my bad habits). I could care less what Robert Parker or Wine Spectator or anyone else rates a wine on a numeric scale. I just want to drink a wine that I think tastes good.

P.S. - I was the one that bought the SGC A T205 Cobb on ebay that was referenced in the original post. It's a beautiful card.