View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM

Default Al Stump and Ty Cobb

This is one of the best researched, and important, articles published in years.

It was written by my friend Ron Cobb (who says he isn't kin to Cobb - now that's being truthful, how many baseball fans named Cobb would not claim kinship!).

This is reprinted from "Baseball in the Peach State", the convention publication of the 2010 SABR convention, held in Atlanta this past weekend. All attendees received a copy in their goody bag, and all SABR members who couldn't attend will be receiving theirs in the mail as soon as the post office finds time to deliver them.

If you missed this SABR convention, you really missed something (but, I might be prejudiced since I was one of the convention organizers). Aside from over 40 terrific research presentations, committee meetings, attending the Braves-Giants game and seeing Tom Glavine's number retired, convention-goers had a chance to meet John Schuerholz, Bobby Cox, Phil Niekro, Mark Lemke, Ron Gant, and Pete Van Wieren, who were on the program (I had the priviledge of introducing all of them), and recent Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez, who came to hear the presentations on RISP hitting, the effect of pitch counts, etc.

If you're not a SABR member, you need to be - see www.sabr.org