View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Color printing....the bigger picture

Following up on that excellent post (#131).....in the latter part of the 19th Century, lithography was at it's peak. And, as many as 9 color passes were
employed to create the more elaborate art of that era. Shown here is the 1889 Goodwin Champions Album. It was produced by the Geo. Harris & Sons
Lithographic Co. (Philadelphia). Here is the cover of this album and one of its 12 pages. In my opinion, this is the most remarkable example of sports art.
It is absolutely sports lithography at it's best....and, my most favorite piece in my collection.

[linked image][linked image]

Early in the 20th Century, Joseph P. Knapp (founder of American Lithographic Co.) refined color lithography, by using 6 color layers in the printing process.
Scot Reader's well researched book "Inside T206" (pages 5-7) describes the 6-color sequence used to print the T206 cards......
YELLOW
BLACK
BROWN
BLUE
DARK GREEN
RED

Modern color printing (the past 70+ years) employs the layering of only 4 colors......
BLACK
YELLOW
CYAN (blue)
MAGENTA

Gentleman, just check-out the ink cartridges in your Copier/Printer to verify this.

TED Z