View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Around the time of the Halper Auction ( I think it was a few months after) there was someone selling more of Halpers collection on Ebay. Mostly the cheaper items that didn't warrant a catalog auction. I definitely saw a bogus McGwire signed bat. The signature wasn't even close. It bothered me that a guy with a collection that valuable didn't bother to even check out the cheap stuff.

On a related note, when the travelling show of McGwire and Sosa items came through Philly I went to see it (at the Vet during a Phillies game). Todd McFarlane sent a lot of his Guernsey's Auction acquisitions on tour so people could take a look. In there along with all his homerun balls he had two bats, one signed by Mac and one signed by both Sosa and Mac. Both were horrible forgeries. Very strange.
Randall,
Why do you think that Todd McFarlane paid as much as he did for all those McGwire and Sosa balls? Just because you have alot of money doesn't mean that you have alot of common sense. BTW, I wouldn't doubt if the prices realized on some of those balls weren't the result of some spirited shill bidding IMHO.