View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 09:54 AM

Dan S.

Thanks for sharing. I know sometimes collectors have been duped, are embarrassed to share. like Dave G. (mears) the more that can be weeded out, the better.

I collect GU items BECAUSE of the fact i enjoy knowing the player used them.I I would rather pay more , with the proper authentication/research/MEARS work, but know for sure.

Im more into bats, but i would rather have a bat that looks horrible but is lock/stock/barrel Used by the player, than a pretty one, with lots of leaps of faith.... just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants00 View Post
Great discussion! I am sure many of you have seen Dave Grob's piece on his worries.
if not http://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=757

I am the owner of many pre-1955 flannels. Some I purchased at Halper sale. Like anything else, caveat emptor. There were some good, some bad. You could see in the prices a huge difference for jerseys people believed in, vs those with issues. Clearly, 19th century jerseys look to have issues.

My bad story does not come from auction, but after auction. They had an internet only auction from Soethbys. I bought a supposed 1919 white sox jersey (similar to Joe Jackson). Turned out to be total joke. Was child size, tags were way off. I have kept it as a reminder to my self of always do my work.

dan