View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Anthøny N. ex

My first dealings were with Goody too. You'd make a reservation, arrive at your appointed time, and he'd totally disregard it. Once in he proved to be an incredibly miserable guy. I recall getting '39 Playball Dimaggios for $5 and Greenberg for a buck, both having sample backs.
His wife, Esther, was really nice to kids and apologetic over the way Goody would treat us, but it made no difference to him.
There were so many good guys at the monthly Garden Grove shows back then- Jim Nowell, Gavin Riley, Merv Williams, Clay Hill, Steve Brunner, to name a few-once we clued into them my friends and I never had to deal with Goody's abuse again.
I dealt a lot with Richard Gelman's Wholesale Card Co too- T206's were .50 each I believe, and I remember getting a Uzit back in one order. My two buddies and I really got into T205's and T206's (about '73, when we were 12) and ended up running ads offer something like 50 '72 Topps for a T206, or 75 of them for a T205. We thought we'd get a few cards but within weeks got totally slammed with T's and had to go around the neighborhood buying more cards to fulfill the trades. I think I ended up with almost 300 T205's and T206's from a couple of ads, and a lot of the cards came from long time hobbyists that just hadn't kept up with the current sets.

Last edited by Griffins; 09-07-2010 at 12:37 AM.