View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

As a "younger" collector, I had several fantastic stories. I got back into collecting in 1987 at the ripe old age of 16. I got back into it because I bought my first PC and it had a modem that connected me to Prodigy service where there was a baseball card bulletin board. Flash forward and I was tasked (challenged really) to compile a list of all Phillies cards from 1949 to 1989...regionals, food, oddball, etc. I started to put it together and decided to go all the way back to the 1880s. Two years later I posted the first list and was immediately emailed that I should talk to Lew Lipset about the Felin's Franks that I had listed (at the time only had a mention of them and a question mark). So, I called him. He took the time to speak with me for nearly an hour about certain sets he had seen and handled (Felins, Father and Son Shoes, Demaree, etc.). Eventually, I ended up buying several cards from him and signing up for his newsletter and auctions.

It is now about 1991 and I was at a regular show in Southern California at the Beverly Garland Hotel in Studio City. I am buying older Phillies from a dealer I know who then tells me that if I am really interested in the older cards I should call Gar Miller. Okay...I call Gar. Talk to him for a bit and he eventually says send me your list and a check for what you can afford and I will fill what I have. I did that for about 6 months until my list was gone. He was great. I have talked (emailed) him a couple of times in the past 10 years.

A few years later I was talking to a friend who said that some of the oddball Topps things I had listed were incorrect team or did not exist. He said I should talk to another friend of his. Turned out I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Sy Barger of Topps. He did confirm some stuff for me. I did not realize who it really was until about a year later when I saw an article on him in a magazine.

Terry Knouse and Mark Macrae I consider hobby greats as well and both started my Old Judge collection at the same National in the early '90s. Years can go by and Terry still remembers that I collect Phillies and interesting stuff. He once let me examine the T206 ledger and the collection of T3 proofs.

Kit Young handed me a stack of playing cards at a National in Anaheim and said I could buy any one of the commons for $150 each...stupid me was out of money and declined. Of course the set was the Allegenys. Still have the note where I wrote down all the Phillies from the set!!

Jim Montgomery, a great Florida collector, used to send me trades all the time as well. He was a hobby great and very generous who sold most of his collection and retired from the scene.

I know I ran into a few other greats. I seem to recall a very quick introduction to Barry Halper when I was in Cooperstown one year.

I feel that I have been very fortunate over the years to meet some great collectors and see some really impressive collections and personalities.

Joshua

PS We ought to do a post on the best hobby experiences we have had...not really best buys but just wonderful moments in our collecting careers.