View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Mike Dugan

I agree quality trumps quantity. I also respect those folks that try to add everything that they can.

My library has about 2,500 volumes but I am not very strong in the pre-1930 titles. I think the thing that always pleases me when I do pick up an early title is how well most of them were written. I would tend to agree with George Plimpton's old "little ball" theory. the smaller the ball the better the literature.

I also think we are just now seeing the golden age of football books, each year the research and writing seems to be getting better.

Barry, I would love to know more about the library you mentioned. Does he have it displayed well? I think most card collectors would agree, until you find a could way to enjoy your cards they are not much fun. The same goes for books or any memorabilia, until you can display them for your own enjoyment they are not very exciting.

The golf library I mentioned earlier is very well done. I am just running out of square footage and shelf space. My wife says I should box my run of guides (Spalding, Reach & TSN) but I enjoy picking them up to read quite often. Perhaps a larger house????