View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'd like to get to more shows, local or bigger. I seem to miss them or have something come up. (Yes, just about every week)

There's usually something to find, and if not it's at least fun looking.

Don't rule out antique auctions or shows either.

A local antique auction I sometimes make it to is basically potluck. Dealers bring in stuff that day so there's no catalog. Cards usually go for decent prices, but some stuff hardly gets bid on.

One of the last times I went they had a jacket. During the preview it hung in a corner and I thought it was one of the workers jackets. About 3/4 of the way through they hold it up and say it's an old Braves warmup jacket supposedly Ernie Lombardis (Yea, sure it is....) Supposedly consigned by a guy whose family was friendly with him. And it's in rough condition, but an odd jacket. Red cloth outside Large ornate B sewn on, white leather inside Also with a big B sewn on. But the leather side has a big chunk roughly cut out, like a name was on the back but had been removed. So I took a chance. Bought it for a fairly small ammount. I'm pretty sure it's a real Braves warmup, late 30's early 40's. And it's huge! I'm right about 6 ft, and it's way too big for me. So maybe it is Lombardis. He did play one season in Boston, and the era is right for the jacket.

Even if it's not his I figure a beat up Braves warmup should be worth the 100 I paid.

Once I find the camera I'll get it out and post a couple pictures.

Steve B