View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Your note scratches on a whole different topic.

When you say you've seen Ruth and Cobb values decline over the years as manufacturers pump out more and more of their memorabilia cards -- you do realize that those memorabilia cards were initially inflated in value due to perceived manufacturing scarcity.

The actual value of a legitimate Ruth and Cobb autograph has not declined over the past decade. What has declined is the (silly) amounts that collectors will pay to have one of those vintage autographs cut up and put in a card-sized holder in a current pack of cards. All the more silly, as both Topps and Upper Deck have repeatedly been called to task for inserting forgeries.
I have heard this point made, but the argument that a Topps or Upper Deck produced cut autograph should hold no premium over any other cut sig seems an argument against baseball cards in general. I mean, why is an Albert Pujols card from 2001 worth what it is? I can write a bio and some stats on the back of a photo of his from 2001. Why pay more from the same made from Upper Deck?

Everything we collect has ZERO intrinsic value. Value is constructed by a group of collectors and whatever they are willing to pay. Having said that, cut autos from manufacturers have dropped in value, but they will always maintain a premium over other cut sigs.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 12-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.