View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default don't know about extinction but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuhartCards View Post
I tend to agree with the thinking...However, look at it this way:

Our hobby is on the edge of extinction as it sits now. I just opened a card shop, and I see very few children coming in the front door. If the thought of pulling a g/u Mantle or Pujols card gets them into the hobby, I am all for it.

The bigger problem I see is the fact that, like everything, the manufacturers over-do it. Instead of putting one or so per box, or making it a big pull, there are thousands of g/u cards and they are losing their appeal.

Our hobby will never return to the days of yesteryear...as much as we would like it to. It is our job to bring in the younger collectors...at what cost, I don't know.

My long .02.
I agree in some sense to this summation. If the mfg's would not overdo it they would do better long term. That seems to be the main problem. The card company(s) find something that has a market, produce a billion of it, then there is a huge diluted market and less demand. If they would strictly limit the GU cards, and only put in articles that aren't so rare they are actually harming history (imo), then everyone would win, and long term too. As far as extinction, if you look at the "meet and greet" thread you will see a lot of 30 and 40 somethings. As addicted as we are I think there are a few generations of time left in us (at least I hope so). But this is the vintage market and it seems to have a bit more staying power than the newer market. That is why I mentioned somewhere that anything that brings in the under-30-somethings, is all good by me. I definitely agree with NeuhartCards on that...but please don't tear up National treasures doing it.

BTW, NeuHartCards, I am fascinated with the idea of opening a card shop in today's economy and hobby climate. I don't see me doing it but it's definitely interesting. If you would care to elaborate on your thoughts on it and how you are doing, I am sure many of us would be appreciative. It's a subject that all of us vintage guys should have some interest in. Best regards and thanks for your post.