View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Barry Sloate

Leon- I knew you would be up my butt on this one, and I knew you would misinterpret what I said. I never said that any auction house should ever leave bids on the table (although there is always one idiot who will call the next day and say he forgot to bid). But if a lot has at any point in time three increments left before it hits its max- and every lot, you agree , does have a max- what's the difference between getting those three bids in within an hour's time, versus getting the same three bids in in five hours time? I am suggesting that the time be compressed, not eliminated. If a bidder was somehow forced to get his bid in earlier (am still not sure of the best way to accomplish this) he would gladly do it. However, he won't because nothing compels him to do so. Every lot is going to get its final bid eventually, so all I am suggesting is to find a way to get rid of all that dead time and to make those final hours more productive.

And the sheet music/book comment was hitting below the belt, in my opinion. That said, Happy New Year to you.